Wednesday, January 14, 2009

You're nerd is showing...

This is what my roommate's boyfriend says every time we strike up a conversation about the role of phonemic awareness in litercy development (with admiration, being a self-admitted nerd himself). And yes, it's true, I have finally embraced my inner nerd, and I'm not afraid to let her show! I may not be cool, and I may not be conforming, but the truth is, I'm passionate about what I'm studying! So the next time I'm silent for a while and you ask me what I'm thinking about, don't be surprised if I tell you I was trying to find practical applications of constructivism in a classroom environment founded on behaviorist theories. And if I start analyzing your picture books for elements of plot, character, voice, and theme, just smile and nod. Let's be honest, we all have plenty of nerd bottled up inside of us, so why not all be nerds together?!

4 comments:

The Edwards said...

You will be such a great teacher! I am totally a nerd about it too. I am taking a math endorsement and spend a lot of thinking on "problem solving" and teaching conceptually. My poor kids are guinea pigs for all of the research!

Megan said...

lol heather you are awesome! i admire your ambition. you will make a wonderful teacher/mommy. maybe you can teach my kids? tee hehehe. anyways go you!

Bradleyfamily said...

So if your passionate about something, does that make you a nerd? Or do you become a nerd when that passion is combined with obsession? hhhmmmm How do I quilify. I Think you are awesome and I want to be like you! So really what do I have to do to become a nerd? :)
love ya

Unknown said...

I just have to say that's really cool! Good for you. You should especially be excited to share what you're studying. And, let's face it, we're all nerds together, right? :)