Saturday, January 7, 2012

Simon David Sypher

Our little Simon David Sypher was born December 16, 2011. He weighed 7 lbs. 8 oz. and was 20 1/2 inches long. We named him Simon David Sypher. Simon after Simon Peter in the Bible and David after Jake's dad.

We went to the hospital to be induced at 6:00 AM. Jake's mom was there as my labor doula, which was so nice, and mom and Cheryl came to keep me company and see the little guy come into the world. When I first started labor Simon had some decels in his heart rate and the nurse warned us of the possibility of a C-section, but as his heart rate evened out I didn't think much about it. After 5 hours I was finally dilated to a 5 and ready for the epidural. I liked the idea of going natural, but I have to admit after being in labor that long the epidural felt so good.

A few hours later I was dilated to a 9 and the baby was right up against the cervix. At that point I was feeling good and ready to just push this baby out, but I guess Simon didn't agree. His heart rate started going crazy again. They put me on oxygen and turned me every which way, but the only time it evened out was when Jake was talking to him. The doctor was hoping to let him descend all the way before pushing, so he would spend less time in the birth canal, but when she checked me again I was dilated to a 10, but Simon had actually gone back up a ways. That's when the doctor said she'd give him ten minutes for the heart rate to even out before we'd do a C-section.

The doctor had me turn onto both sides and get up on my hands and knees with no change so she made the call and they wheeled me out. It was crazy. From the time the doctor made the call till Simon was out was less than ten minutes. Of course I was terrified. Fortunately I had the epidural, so they didn't have to put me all the way under. It was a very long six minutes on the operating table, but finally I heard my little baby crying and was flooded with relief. He had the cord wrapped around his neck and it was being pinched off by his shoulder. It took them about 45 minutes to stitch me back up, and then I was wheeled back to my room and finally got to hold my little boy.

And now for the important part...pictures!

 The first time I saw my little boy. I was really out of it at this point because they gave me some pretty heavy medication once the cord was cut, but I'll never forget this moment. I was so happy!



 Holding daddy's hand.

 This is just one of the many pictures Jake took of Simon's first bath.
 This was when Simon was one day old.
 This is the outfit we took him home in. I chose one that was a little big, but I was a little inexperienced with these things.
 The doctor who delivered him gave us this onsie. I think it's so cute!
 Home at last. Getting him here was quite the adventure. We're so grateful he is healthy and safe.

No comments: