A couple of weeks ago I read Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World by Jennifer Armstrong for my children's lit class. It was so cool! I'm usually not a big fan of informational books, but this is one I highly recommend. It's about an expedition to Antarc
tica that began in 1914. The ship got caught in the ice and the men had to survive the frozen wilderness for two years! Miraculously every member of the crew survived. The story of their survival is incredible, but I learned about a lot of other stuff too. Ice, for instance. I used to think there was only one kind of ice in this world. I was wrong...
"The Antarctic contains ninety percent of the world's snow and ice, and there are more than eighty kinds of it. There's brash ice, pancake ice, bullet ice, green ice, frazil, nilas, breccia, shuga, slush ice, rotten ice, pressure ice, grease ice, ice dust, shorefast ice, ice flowers, ice haycocks, ice saddles, floes, calf bergs, growlers, and sastrugi, to name just a few." - pg 48Congratulations! You now know more than you ever wanted to know about ICE!
No comments:
Post a Comment