Sunday, August 23, 2009
The Song of the Righteous
I just had a really neat experience. After reading my scriptures earlier today the song O My Father popped into my head and I was frustrated to discover that I couldn't remember all of the words. My solution was to get out my computer and look them up online. Since my roommates all moved out yesturday I was alone in my apartment, and knew that I would be for the rest of the day. So when I found the hymn online I found myself singing it out loud. When I finished a line from another hymn came into my mind, but I couldn't remember what song it was, I could only think of that line. I started searching through all of the hymns looking for a title that would trigger my memory, and found myself wanting to sing other songs as well. In the end I sat on my bed for over an hour singing hymns out loud until I found the one I was looking for. It was really nice to be able to just sit down by myself, where no one else could hear me, and sing praises to God. To me singing this music feels like studying the gospel, bearing my testimony, and praying all at the same time. After all, the Lord Himself says that the song of the righteous is a prayer unto Him. I am so grateful for the hymns of the church! So if you ever find yourself all alone and looking for a spiritual pick me up, I recommend sitting down and singing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I sing in the car- everytime.
This is really awesome, Heather! I got called to be my ward organist and I feel spiritually uplifted every time I practice. The hymns are amazing! :) Thanks for the reminder.
Post a Comment