


It all began last Tuesday night when Briaunna, JoAnn, and Shilo came to my apartment. Bri casually suggested we go check out the dirt piles. Jo and I readily agreed. Shilo was a little hesitant. After some exploration we found the perfect peak for a quick round of king of the mountain, and Briaunna, JoAnn, and I began to play. Shilo had to go to Peru— literally. It was epic. We pushed, pulled, rammed, screamed, and tumbled. It was, hands down, the best game of king of the mountain I have ever played.
The first interruption came from a boy who we’ll call George.
George came up to ask us what we were doing. Then he just stood there watching us play. Which was awkward. After some coaxing he joined in. Which was still awkward, but less so. The second interruption came from the university police. The conversation went something like this…
Officer: What are you kids doing up there?
Bri: We’re just playing. Are we not supposed to be up here?
Officer: Well, it’s funny. We just got a call from someone who was worried someone would get hurt.
Bri: Oh, we’re fine. But we can leave if it’s a problem.
Officer: Well, I guess I don’t see anything wrong with it. I just don’t understand why you’re doing it.
Bri: Well sir, it’s a giant pile of dirt.

And we were a little worse for the wear...
But it was worth it.
1 comment:
Oh you bring back memories, Heather. King, or is it Queen, of the Hill. Thanks so much for keeping me on your distribution. After looking briefly at your blog (I intend to check out every part of it), I am totally amazed that you actually grew into a beautiful, articulate (writing) and talented young lady. (Just kidding). But, I still remember the notes and letters from days gone by, where you scribbled notes in all capital, blocked letters on pieces of tablet paper filled with mispelled words and at least words spelled just like they sound. I've never met a young child who didn't like to play in the dirt. I still do. Always bring out the child within you. Thanks for sharing you!
Post a Comment