Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Media Violence

I was doing some reading for my technology class and I came across this article. I've been struggling to decide exactly where my standards for media lie in the past couple of years, so I love finding good articles, and quotes, and hearing the opinions of people I respect. Some people tell me I'm closed minded and judgemental in my criticism of the media, but I don't mean to be. I just know that I'm a happier person when I'm not watching junk. We all want to be happy, right? I've been having particular trouble with violence lately because I love the excitement and suspense of certain movies and TV shows that I'm not entirely sure are appropriate, and I really, really, really don't want to give them up! Anyway, here's a quote by Elder Ballard that was in the article:

“I believe the entertainment industry cannot portray on film people gunned down in cold blood, in living color, and not have it affect the attitudes and thoughts of some of the people who see it. … I believe that the desensitizing effect of such media abuses on the hearts and souls of those who are exposed to them results in a partial fulfillment of the Savior’s statement that ‘because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.’ ”

The full article is at http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=590b74536cf0c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____

No comments: